Monday, May 12, 2014

Editor's Cut

After posting my review for Gravity on Saturday, it then dawned on me that I haven't published anything on here since October. Frankly, that's just atrocious, and I can only apologise.

I even missed the A-Z Challenge this year, which is a shame. Fortunately, I haven't been so busy as to miss all of the wonderful postings by everyone else so for those that participated in, and completed, the challenge, congratulations!

Sadly, I don't really have an excuse for my lack of activity. I have been snowed under with numerous developments at work, which just leaves me wanting to come home and relax. More often than not, I'll watch a film, but I've been less conscious of watching the 5-star 500. It doesn't help that the next one to watch is Inland Empire, a 3-hour marathon by one of my least favourite directors.

We (the girlfriend and I) have also spent a lot of time catching up on some truly amazing TV series that are out and about at the moment. Like most people, Game of Thrones is our firm favourite. We haven't been able to watch season four yet as we don't have Sky, because I don't believe in giving everyone's favourite media mogul (Rupert Murdoch) any money.

So, until season 4 is released on home video next year, we had to find something else to watch and at the weekend we started watching The Walking Dead. Three episodes in we're already both hooked.

As well as these, we've gotten ourselves hooked on YouTube. Most of our viewing revolves around comedy and film, and our personal favourite channels are CinemaSins, who give 'sins' to films based on minute details they didn't like, and ScreenJunkies who do Honest Trailers (voiced by Jon Bailey), skipping the marketing malarkey and exposing films for what they really are.

The lack of reviews here doesn't mean that I have stopped writing, or even blogging for that matter! I am about 10% through my first fully fledged novel which I am very excited about. I have roughly written the rest of the plot down, but as any aspiring authors know, it is putting the meat on the bones that is the most difficult part.

In addition, I also spent a good few months last year writing parodies of fairy tales for my own amusement. These parodies take the form of letters from the main characters to the narrator, giving a unique insight into the old stories. Initially, this was for my own pleasure but as I just kept writing, it later dawned on me that the blogging format is ideal for this style of writing.

So, after much procrastination, I started a new blog - Tales from Far Far Away. From June, my aim is to release one of the letters every Monday and Friday to ensure that a regular supply of posts is kept up. At the moment I have plenty of material scheduled, but once that is used up the regular posting schedule should help me to get back into blogging and hopefully a few more reviews will be added here too!

If you could kick-start the following on the new blog, I would be eternally grateful. There is nothing more fulfilling in blogging that knowing you are writing to a captive audience. Heck, if you are really keen there are even links on that blog to Facebook, Twitter and Google+ accounts that I have set up to get the word out there (these are not the same as on this blog!).

Finally, just a quick word on my home cinema progress! I know a few of you were keen to know when it was finished. Well, I have effectively bought all of my kit and I am very pleased with my set up. I will go through it in a little more detail in a later post, but I can tell you that for all of the kit to allow me to play 3D blu-rays on a 90" screen in 5.1 surround sound I have only spent around £2,000 which, in the UK at least, is exceptionally low.

Thanks for sticking with me over the past year or so. Hopefully it won't be too long before I strike back... with a vengeance!

2 comments:

  1. Wow. I never knew you had a novel in the works. I can't wait to sample some of your writing. Shame you have to wait for the Blu-Ray/DVD to catch up on Game of Thrones. I've been doing some binge watching myself recently, and The Walking Dead is one of the series I plan on getting around to watching. Right now, I am three seasons into Breaking Bad and loving every single bit of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not many people do... this is the first really public announcement about it and I like to keep my cards close to my chest :-)

      You should definitely watch The Walking Dead! I have looked at Breaking Bad and have been sorely tempted to start watching it, but I think the next series we need to get into (after the first three seasons of The Walking Dead) is Dexter.

      Delete