Friday, June 21, 2013

A Guide to Creating your Home Cinema: Introduction & Disclaimer

One of the first things I wanted to do when I bought my new house was to drag its 1950's masonry into the 21st Century. My idea was clear: I wanted to pick and watch a 3D movie on a projector with 5.1 surround sound (7.1 is no good in my tiny living room) without leaving the comfortable haven of my sofa.

Source: AboutProjectors
There was a catch though: this is a budget job. I absolutely refuse to have the expense of external companies' help on a job that I feel any person with a bit of technological nous and a hammer can achieve.

So, over the coming months I shall keep you updated with my progress and hopefully you can gain some insight into how to create yourself a lovely home cinema by learning from my mistakes (and probably improving on them by spending an extra £20 that I decided to save!).

Part of what I will be discussing is how to transfer all of your DVDs & Blu-Rays onto a computer so that they can be accessed without ever leaving your chair. Naturally, with ripping DVDs comes certain legal grey areas.

The law in the UK was updated in 2010 with the Digital Economy Act which legalised copying CDs and DVDs for personal use. However, it is not that simple. It is still not legal to bypass copyright protection which is prevalent on most DVDs and nearly all Blu-Rays. That means, by law in the UK, it is still not necessarily legal to copy the films which you bought.

So, for the purposes of any information I give on ripping DVDs and Blu-Rays I strongly urge you to investigate the laws in your country.

Other than that, I hope the information I give you will come in useful!

2 comments:

  1. Will the result look like the room in the picture above? I can't wait to see what you come up with either way. I don't have a place of my own yet, but it's never too early to plan ahead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish! I agree, if it's something you want to do then make sure you plan well in advance (and have a very understanding other half!)

      Delete