Monday, May 06, 2013

A to Z 2013: Reflections


First of all, welcome to my new followers. It's great to have you on board! I hope you enjoy my continuation of the 5-star 500 challenge over the coming months and years.

What a month April has been - on the blog and in my offline life. Both have been horrifically busy and the blog has been a great escape. Thanks for all your comments - they have been greatly appreciated, and I'm sorry if I haven't replied to you yet.

I promised in January to write down 26 alternative endings and in mid-March I realised that was a difficult challenge to give myself seeing as I had only written 3. I had to hastily come up with another solution and decided to do something far lighter by doing an A to Z of comedy characters.

Initially I figured it was easy. Countless characters seemed to fall on the letter 'D' - Dory (Finding Nemo) and Doug (Up) are just two examples - and I had plenty for 'M', 'A' and 'S' too.

Then the ugly letters started to rear their heads. I first got to 'I' and realised I couldn't think of anyone for that letter before stumbling across Inspector Gadget. Having already done a piece on Matthew Broderick, this was a bit of an issue, so I hastily threw "Inspector" into Google in the hope of some inspiration. Brilliantly, it suggested Clouseau - and even more inspired because I wanted to write about Peter Sellers and had taken all the letters for his characters from Dr. Strangelove.

Then there was nothing for Q, U, X, Y or Z. I couldn't do Uncle Fester because Christopher Lloyd was Emmett Brown, I couldn't do Zoolander because Ben Stiller was White Goodman and couldn't do Zohan because Adam Sandler was Happy Gilmore. Crap. I must admit, I bodged those. Still, I think I got away with it.

Apologies once again if my posting schedule goes out of the window. I have three 5-star 500 posts to go up (OK, I need to finish them first) and then I shall continue on with the challenge. May isn't overly busy in the cinema - except for Star Trek - so with luck I can keep you all entertained with the main focus of the blog rather than getting distracted and going out!

Finally, I hope to be announcing something exciting soon which I have been working on in a literary sense. I hope you'll enjoy it.

Until next time!


8 comments:

  1. I thought you would do Zoolander aswell, but then realised you couldnt, although I would have been tempted anyway just because it was Zoolander =) You managed to survive the challenge though so well done. I look forward to next year, but I will be following your blog anyway.

    Dale from Smurfin' The Web.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had actually written a piece on Zoolander, but then I got to the actor and realised that it was Ben Stiller again! I guess it goes to show how good an actor he is...

      Thanks, I'm also following you!

      Delete
  2. It certainly was a challenge, but a really good one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on the completion of the Challenge also a good reflection post,

    Yvonne.
    A TO Z AMBASSADOR,

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, visiting from the reflections list - congratulations on completing, it's a great feeling isn't it!
    Suzanne @ Suzannes Tribe

    ReplyDelete
  5. I liked how you ended up doing the challenge this year, even if you think you bodged some of the entries. And I appreciate learning ("bodge") some new slang!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember the note pad you were trying to plan the names out on, oh so many scribbles only to write the same thing. The a-z of comedy never looked so good mind.

    ReplyDelete