Saturday, April 06, 2013

F is for... Ferris Bueller

F is for... Ferris Bueller
Actor: Matthew Broderick
Films: Ferris Bueller's Day Off

The Character
Ferris Bueller is a ragamuffin and a bad influence on his friends as he persuades them to bunk school for a day. As is his truant antics weren't bad enough, his actions have further legal repercussions including theft and criminal damage. In his defence, though, he is funny.

Really though, he is just a typical teenager with typical teenage dreams - he is just one of the few with the 'nads to realise these dreams and turn them into a reality. Undoubtedly he is also going to fail all of his exams, not least because of the ill relationship he has with the Dean, Edward Rooney.

The Actor
Matthew Broderick has a habit of being that guy. You know... that guy from that film. He has undoubtedly become most well known for Ferris Bueller's Day Off, but he was also that guy from Inspector Gadget. You know... Inspector Gadget. He was also the main man from the 1983 film WarGames where he plays an unmotivated teenager who nearly starts World War III.

Broderick has also headlined in Godzilla (well, headlined after a CGI monster) and voice acted as the grown-up Simba in The Lion King. You might have also seen him in The Cable Guy fighting Jim Carrey in a satellite dish.

Yes, Broderick has had a very bizarre career.

Classic Scene

15 comments:

  1. Great post! and I love your E post, that film is one of my childhood favourites.
    You have a link to this site on my blog today, good luck with the rest of the challenge.
    http://wp.me/p2Eu3u-m4

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. E is for... Emmett Brown, in case anyone was wondering.

      Thanks for the link Rosie. I'll be sure to drop by!

      Delete
  2. One of my favourite movies of ALL time. It defines a generation. I remember a couple of years ago when Broderick did that Superbowl spot for Honda and everyone thought a sequel was in the works. Love this movie and a great character to choose. Happy man today =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheer smurf. It is an awesome movie. I reviewed it... (searches for link...) here all the way back in May last year.

      Delete
  3. I had no idea he was adult Simba!

    Ferris Bueller is such a classic movie, but one I haven't seen in way too long!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me neither - it was only researching this post that I found that out!

      It is a classic.

      Delete
  4. I loved this movie. Ben Stein's roll call is literally unforgettable. And who didn't want a day like that when you were in school...hell, I want a day like that from work...right now!! Great choice for F!

    Chuck at Apocalypse Now

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bueller. Bueller. Bueller. Bueller.

      I'd love a day out from work too!

      Delete
  5. Broderick was also the main jerk husband in the recent Stepford Wives remake. :-)
    Some Dark Romantic

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were so many that guy roles I couldn't fit in!

      Delete
  6. Great movie. I named my ferret, Ferret Bueller, after you know who, and my second ferret is Cameron.
    Fel Wetzig at The Peasants Revolt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! That's brilliant!

      I'd have called the second one ferret wheel ;)

      Then Anna Ferret (although that's slightly more obscure!)

      Delete
  7. Ferris Bueller's Day Off, top choice, I also liked Matthew in 'Ladyhawke', I had a crush on Rutger Hauer.

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh and thanks for the code tip on A to Z.
    which I am trying now
    maggie winter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm stunned I did it right, I'm very scared of code!

      Delete