Thursday, April 04, 2013

D is for... Donkey

D is for... Donkey
Actor: Eddie Murphy
Films: Shrek (2001), Shrek 2 (2004), Shrek The Third (2007), Shrek Forever After (2010)

The Character
Donkey is one of the most irritating companions known to man, beast or ogre. Taking him on a journey would involve 90% of your time filtering out the crap that comes from his toothy mouth, with the other 10% comforting him when you finally lose your patience. Taking Donkey on long journeys isn't recommended.

Donkey is also well known for his surprisingly good singing. Despite his obvious character flaws he is able to see the bright side of any situation. As well as being incredibly loyal to his best friend and acting as babysitter on occasion, Donkey had his own successful interspecies relationship.

The Actor
After starting his career on the standup circuit, Eddie Murphy soon found fame as not-exactly-by-the-book police officer Axel Foley in the Beverley Hills Cop franchise. He took his funny man image into his later films but rarely appeared out of costume in films such as The Nutty Professor and Norbit where he played nearly every member of the cast.

His career reached a high during his time as Donkey in the Shrek franchise (Murphy has jokingly said when he also got to express his singing talents - which have also been on show in Coming To America. Murphy has also released an album.

While he has had some notable performances in recent years, they have usually been marred by his other films - it is thought that he lost out on the Oscar for Little Miss Sunshine because of his role in Norbit.

Classic Scene

13 comments:

  1. Donkey is adorably irritating and a very good friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Without Donkey, there would be no Shrek. Not least because Shrek would have been gobbled up by the dragon.

      Delete
  2. Donkey is one of his best roles. He's gotten a lot a flak lately for bombs, but he did put out some great stuff in his time.

    His singing talents were on full display at at recent benefit in his honor...he sang a duet with Stevie Wonder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He did. My personal favourite is still Beverley Hills Cop but i always think of Donkey in another class entirely.

      Delete
  3. He lost the Oscar for Dreamgirls. But anyway, all points appreciated. He's a great talent, and Donkey was an instant icon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the girlfriend kept saying "mention dreamgirls, mention dreamgirls"! Which might be why I didn't.

      Delete
  4. Just such a shame the rest of the Shrek did not live up to the success of the first, all the jokes were done and even Donkey was hugely repetitive. Eddie Murphy as a movie star though? I loved him in Beverley Hills Cop, but thats it. When I look at him in more detail, he was always ever just a better looking, younger Richard Pryor. Then again, the likes of Chris Rock and many other black comedians that we see now are just knock offs from Murphy and the cycle continues. Good post though. Smurfin' The Web has you bookmarked now =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Donkey. I remember Eddie Murphy when he was a standup comedienne. He was very funny. His acting has taken a weird trajectory, but I think he's fantastic in voice over work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If anyone hasn't seen Eddie Murphy in stand-up, I'd highly recommend looking it up on YouTube.

      Delete
  6. I never did manage to see the last two Shrek movies, or the Puss in Boots spinoff, but I did love Donkey in the first and second one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I haven't seen the fourth Shrek film or Puss In Boots, but Donkey made the A to Z on the first film alone.

      Delete
  7. I love the Shrek films. I really enjoy how there's something in there for all the family to enjoy.

    I really enjoyed this post.

    ReplyDelete