Wednesday, April 03, 2013

C is for... Charlie Croker

C is for... Charlie Croker
Actor: Michael Caine, Mark Wahlberg
Films: The Italian Job (1969), The Italian Job (2003)

The Character
In 1969, Charlie Croker is just your typical Cockney. Dry, funny humour topped off with the sort of language that would make your mother blush. As if to compound the 'typical London boy' image, he even lives a life as a thieving toerag.

His appearance in 2003 perhaps confirmed that he did manage to escape from the cliffhanger in 1969, although it seemed to have a strange effect on his appearance. He seems to be ageing in reverse and may have spent a long amount of time on the other side of the Atlantic.

He has a fascination with Mini Coopers although, rather than being a sentimental romantic, he can appreciate the British motoring icon for its ability to carry copious amount of gold across varying terrains at a breakneck pace.

The Actor
Michael Caine had made big screen appearances before The Italian Job - for example Zulu - and has made countless showings in cinemas since - not least in Christopher Nolan's Batman trilogy - but it is impossible to talk about Caine without placing him in the role of Charlie Croker. Equally, it is impossible to visualise Charlie Croker as anyone other than Britain's most successful Cockney (despite Wahlberg's best efforts).

Two years after The Italian Job, Caine starred in Get Carter - another film to acknowledge that the London accent worked for a British audience. This, too, was remade thirty years later for Hollywood.

Classic Scene

17 comments:

  1. I loved both the original and the remake. Great movie.

    Dropping by from A to Z. First year participating.

    Brett Minor
    Transformed Nonconformist

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Much preferred the original! In reality they are two completely different styles of film.

      Delete
  2. I love Michael Caine...great post! Good luck with the challenge! I participated last year and had a blast!

    Donna L Martin
    www.donasdays.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I think Caine is one of the more versatile actors around.

      Delete
  3. Have to admit I've never seen the original but I love that clip!

    (Grover at Inane Ramblings)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't seen a Michael Caine movie in a long time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, now you have a good reason to :)

      Delete
  5. Still haven't seen either version. But when I get around to it, I plan to go on a Michael Caine binge. Great actor. I've really only seen his later work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Plus it gives you a great excuse to watch the Batman trilogy.

      Delete
  6. I never did see that 1969 original. Michael Caine is one of my favorite British actors though, so I'll keep it in mind to try and see it someday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hop to it! It's a real classic. I like your A to Z theme by the way, I'll have to drop off a comment next time I read it.

      Delete
  7. I didn't know there was an original Italian Job...I must watch it. I love everything Michael Caine has done...I believe he is a brilliant actor. Not having anything to compare to...I like Mark W. in the 2003 version.

    Chuck at Apocalypse Now

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be honest Chuck I don't think you're alone based on the comments above. I never realised that the original wasn't huge outside the UK. It is by far and above the best Michael Caine film (with him in the lead role).

      Delete
  8. A great movie. I even enjoyed the "remake". Charlie is such an optimist, and the last line of the movie epitomises this. I also love Eddie Izzard's whole Italian Job sketch in The Definite Article, makes me want to watch the movie every time I see it. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Both my husband and I are massive Michael Caine fans (his favourite is definitely The Italian Job, I lean more towards Muppets Christmas Carol, hehe).

    He's a brilliant actor and I love that scene.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's such a varied actor, from crime thrillers to comedy and comic book films. His accent is always recognisable.

      Delete