Tuesday, April 02, 2013

B is for... The Black Knight

B is for... The Black Knight
Actor: John Cleese
Films: Monty Python and the Holy Grail (1975)

The Character
Not much is known about The Black Knight other than the fact that he is a persistent fellow. As guardian of a bridge, no-one can say that he didn't valiantly try to carry out his orders to stop Arthur passing. In fact, unlike Sir Robin, he didn't bravely run away but battled with honour. Unfortunately, his fighting technique is all mouth and no, err, arms. Or legs.


The Actor
John Cleese has long been the darling of British comedy. He teamed up with Graham Chapman, Terry Gilliam, Eric Idle, Terry Jones, and Michael Palin to form surreal comedy group Monty Python in the late 1960's. Aside from their comedy sketch show they created three feature films about King Arthur, Jesus Brian and something a little different.

Arguably John Cleese has survived longer on the comedy circuit than his colleagues thanks in the most part for his flamboyant nature in sitcom Fawlty Towers. Never before - or since - has a character performed such a beautifully caricatured Nazi march in an episode about a salad.

Later - and bizarrely - Cleese became the new gadget man in James Bond. Following on from Q (Desmond Llewelyn), Bond (Pierce Brosnan) declares this must make Cleese's character 'R'.

Classic Scene

16 comments:

  1. This movie is hilarious and one of my all-time favorites. This scene is so classic, I could watch it every day!

    Great choice for B

    Chuck at Apocalypse Now

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is definitely my favourite scene from the movie. Some of the scenes are a bit too farfetched for me, but in the most part it is hilarious!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. He joined Sir Percy in bravely running away!

      Delete
  3. I think I am one of the few people who can't really remember the Monty Python movies. I was simply too young when I last saw them. I love John Cleese though, a love that stems from Fawlty Towers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did think about Basil Fawlty, but he also begins with 'B'! I chose the Black Knight in the end because it was more movie related. I do think that Fawlty Towers was Cleese's best work.

      Delete
  4. Awesome post. Loved this film the best of all the Python movies. Great section in the film to choose, well done.

    Dale @ Smurfin' The Web =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've not seen Life of Brian, but it is on the 500, so I shall be watching it soon! Thanks.

      Delete
  5. "But it's just a flesh wound!" I got to use that line last month when I ACCIDENTALLY stabbed my forearm with a pitchfork. Man, THAT hurt.
    Best of luck in the Challenge. I like your theme.
    Tina @ Life is Good
    Co-host, April 2013 A-Z Challenge Blog
    @TinaLifeisGood, #atozchallenge

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What are you going to do, bleed on me?

      Delete
  6. just saw the images.. and taken back to the first time i had seen this... i wasn't allowed to see it. it made it more enjoyable.

    Jeremy [Retro]
    AtoZ Challenge Co-Host
    Oh No, Let's Go... Crazy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me guess... Rebellious teenager? You'll love when I get to K then!

      Delete
  7. Yeahhh!! The Black Knight is one of my favorite Python characters :) Love it.

    Happy A-Z'ing!

    AJ Lauer
    #atozchallenge helper minion
    Twitter: @ayjaylauer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks AJ, I agree. I'll be sure to pop by before the end of the challenge!

      Delete
  8. Thanks for honoring John Cleese, whom I adored in A Fish Called Wanda. You might be interested in knowing that a friend and colleague of mine, the excellent biographer Jim Curtis, is working on a book with John. I gather Jim is supposed to write straight biography, while John interjects snarky comments. Should be memorable.

    Do check out my latest A to Z post on Roger Corman and his world: www.beverlyinmovieland.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Judging by John Cleese's work I can't imagine him being very serious at all. But that's his obvious entertainment. He is a true legend of British comedy.

      Your friend is very fortunate to be in contact with the man!

      I'll be sure to drop by!

      Delete