Monday, April 01, 2013

A is for... Ace Ventura

A is for... Ace Ventura
Actor: Jim Carrey
Films: Ace Ventura: Pet Detective (1994), Ace Ventura: When Nature Calls (1995)

The Character
Ace Ventura is, err, a Pet Detective. His dedication to animals and knowledge of their ways is astounding and he easily leaves Richard Attenborough, Bill Oddie and Steve Irwin in the shade when it comes to using them to solve insignificant crimes. Had he been out of detective work and looking for another organisation, his love of all things breathing would undoubtedly have caused him to be snapped up as ambassador for PETA in a second.

Naturally a man of this eccentricity is bound to be misunderstood but all admiration for the man returns when you realise he is able to catch a bullet with his teeth. Even David Blaine used a strategically placed metal cup. It's even more impressive when you consider that he looks like the offspring of an orangutan and a shark.

The Actor
OK, so most people accept that Ace Ventura: Pet Detective and Ace Ventura: When Nature Calls aren't the best films in the world, but it would be fair to say that some would argue that they are the funniest. Ace Ventura is Jim Carrey at his stupid best, pulling faces like never before and genuinely being funny without the creepy dark undertone that marred his later films.

It is this stupidity that puts most people off Carrey. When he's not practising for Celebrity Gurner of the Year 1995, he's talking jibberish or peeping out from the rear of a rhinoceros. However, based on this, you do know what you can expect from almost every Jim Carrey film.

Classic Scene

18 comments:

  1. I loved both these movies just because of Carrey. Great choice for A!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have no idea how difficult it is! A could also be Austin Powers among other things. Thanks for dropping by!

      Delete
  2. Hi. I'm here from the A to Z challenge.

    What a great blog idea. I've been a reader of Empire for years. At one point it was my ambition to write for them, but then I decided to write for myself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Donna! There is much more freedom writing for yourself... but you probably won't meet George Clooney any time soon.

      Delete
  3. Brilliant. Jim Carrey at his best :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never liked those films. This was when I found Jim Carrey highly annoying, although he was brilliant in Batman Forever and The Mask. Can't wait to see him in Kick Ass 2 though. Great theme for your A-Z though, and I'm now following your blog, hopefully my theme will be equally as enjoyable to others as this is. Good luck with the challenge =)

    Dale http://smurfdok.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the Jim Carrey effect. You either love him or hate him - and even then it can vary by film.

      Delete
  5. I have nothing but fond memories for both Ace Ventura movies. Granted, I was just a little kid when I saw them, so watching them today might reveal what all those reviewers were complaining about back then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The reason they are so badly critically reviewed is that the films are simply stupid. Stupid isn't necessarily bad, but you have to be in the right mood for it. I love Ace Ventura, but I wouldn't watch it with my grandparents, for example.

      Delete
  6. Interesting perspective on Jim Carrey as a whole. Now I have a greater understanding of how other people view him! He's one of my favorite actors, and yes it's because of Ace Ventura.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is brilliant, but some of his later films are a bit creepy...

      The Mask and Ace are his best character work.

      Delete
  7. Can't say I'm a fan but my husband and son sure are. They have every AV film there is.

    Nice to meet you. I'm over from the A2Z (#149) and am a new follower!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nancy! I hope they are educating you in brash comedy!

      Delete
  8. Jim carrey is brilliant. Ace ventura isn't my favourite character from all those he played but it still makes a fun watch!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVE LOVE LOVE your theme!!! You had me at Ace Ventura!
    Connie
    I'm visiting from the A to Z Blog Challenge
    Peanut Butter and Whine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Connie. Hope you enjoy the other 25 (in truth, I'm struggling on some of the letters, but I'm hoping to crack them soon!)

      Delete