Monday, January 07, 2013

A to Z Challenge - April 2013


The A to Z Challenge?
Welcome to the introductory post for 2013's A to Z Challenge! For those of you who weren't here last year, don't own a blog or simply don't care, let me enlighten you.

In 2010, Arlee Bird decided it would be a good idea to post thematically from A to Z in the month of April (like any good person, he gave himself Sunday to rest). In 2011 he gathered up the troops for another round. In 2012 I joined and it was the biggest ever year (though these statements are clearly not related).

Last year I blogged from A to Z along the movie theme of this blog, watching 26 films in April and bashing out reviews about them all. Come May, I had poor eyesight and RSI gained many followers and read many cool new blogs, many of whom I am still on contact with today.

What are you doing this year?
This year promises to be much of the same - albeit on a much grander scale. Instead of reducing myself to tears as I beg for the DVD to arrive the day before the review is due, I have decided to do something a little different. I spent the final eight months of 2012 figuring out how to make a movie review blog do something other than blogging movie reviews without going completely off topic.

So, what's the topic?
One idea was the A to Z dissection of a film (A is for... Actor, D is for... Director), before panicking over what I could do on the more obscure letters without blagging it. I mean, Z is for... Zoo and there are plenty of animal enclosures in films, but they're not a key component of a movie unless it happens to be called We Bought a Zoo.

You're right, that was pretty stupid...
In the end I have settled on the A to Z of alternative movie endings. I'll be writing transcripts to undoubtedly improve film endings - which means that instead of serious, critical writing, I get to sit back, relax, and let my imagination run wild. There will be some that are believable, some bizarre and most some will be just downright ludicrous. Whether you want to imagine Sigourney Weaver appearing from Alien's chest or Jason Bourne sitting down with a psychiatrist to figure out exactly who he is, there will be something for everyone.

I have a great idea, pick my film!
What I need right now are film suggestions. I'll be posting up the list of days, letters and films shortly, but get those suggestions in! There are literally no limits on good or bad, on list or off list, watched or unwatched, or old or recent. I'll watch it, pause it towards the end and just write.

I have already polished off 'T' (The Truman Show) as I begin writing the posts and I have a horrible feeling that this year I may in fact lose followers.  Still, I shall persevere.

I want to sign up!
For more information, check out the A to Z Challenge blog where you'll see everything you want to know to join this difficult RSI-inducing  prestigious challenge amongst the blogging community.

2 comments:

  1. Ambitious undertaking! Thanks for introducing us and starting the buzz! You are right though, it's going to be a great year!
    Tina @ Life is Good
    http://kmdlifeisgood.blogspot.com/
    Co-Host 2012 (and who knows, maybe 2013 although the official announcement is later...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Tina! Looking forward to another successful year.

      Delete