Wednesday, December 05, 2012

Hiatus

Hello, Bienvenue, Wilkommen and 'Allo 'Allo.

Holy macaroni, this is my first post in over a month. Time flies when you're refurbishing a house in an attempt to move in to stop your parents complaining that you've had said house for over six months and are still living rent free under their nose having fun.

As a result, I haven't watched a film in over six weeks. For someone that is used to reaching for the popcorn on an almost nightly basis, this hiatus has been horrible as I've spent my time running from wire cutters to plasterers trowel in a futile attempt to not spend any money overhauling the house. On the plus side, the bedroom is finished. Except the curtains. And the floor.

Regardless, last weekend I moved in. I powered up my television for the first time in over a month and realised that while most of the channels were still spewing out their non-primetime crap, there was a saving grace in that I'm A Celebrity Get Me Out Of Here had just finished and ITV could return to more sane scheduling - combined with their annual competition with Channel 5 for Corniest-Christmas-Film Of The Year*.

There is another positive in that the cinematic Christmas schedule looks very appetising this year (and I'm not just talking about Samantha Barks in Les Misérables). I have Great Expectations for a modern remake of the Dickens classic, and I'm hoping that The Life of Pi will be awarded more than 3.14 stars. Then there is the small matter of the start of a Peter Jackson trilogy that makes me wish it was 2001 all over again. Maybe not - 12 years ago I was a Hobbit myself, joining up with my Dwarf friends and attempting to quest my way through school.

You can probably tell my humour has become a lot darker since I last wrote - possibly in preparation for Seven Psychopaths - and this means that there will be some changes around. Gone is the standard template of Summary, Storyline, Review and in comes something far more original; Put-Stuff-Where-It-Sounds-Good.

I went to the cinema last night. Let the reviewing commence. Again.

* American Translation: "... The X Factor has nearly finished and Fox can almost return to more sane scheduling - combined with their annual competition with CBS for Corniest-Christmas-Film Of The Year."

4 comments:

  1. Good to have you back, Ed. Now, keep the good stuff coming. :)

    P.S: I added touch screen gesture support to the website while you were gone. You can check it out if you have an iPad or tablet lying around.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "...more than 3.14 stars." I see what you did there.

    ReplyDelete