Thursday, June 21, 2012

Films 181 - 190

The next ten films in the Empire 5-star 500 are:
  1. Ghostbusters (1984)
  2. The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo (2009)
  3. Glengarry Glen Ross (1992)
  4. The Godfather (1972)
  5. The Godfather Part II (1974)
  6. Gods And Monsters (1998)
  7. The Gold Rush (1925)
  8. Goldfinger (1964)
  9. Gone With The Wind (1939)
  10. The Good, The Bad And The Ugly (1966)
Boom! Admittedly I scheduled most of the last ten films, but I flew through them pretty quickly.

Without a doubt my favourite was The General which was brilliantly funny. Forrest Gump was of course the classic that it is renowned for being, but the surprise of the previous ten films was 4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days which was better than I had expected.

As for the next ten, I'm going to be held up somewhat because of the sheer number of franchises explored:

The Millennium Trilogy (The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo)
Having just finished the Millennium trilogy books on Sunday, I plan to watch all the films for the second time, along with the English-language remake (for the first time). And review them. Four films, three books and just one ticked off the 5-star list. That's dedication.

Ghostbusters
If that wasn't enough, I plan to watch Ghostbusters and Ghostbusters II - due to the fact that I accidentally bought the sequel in my hunt for the original. It's not my fault the 'II' was sneakily hidden!

The Godfather
Then there's The Godfather trilogy, which isn't so bad because two films get ticked off the list in this franchise. Also, I have a slight confession to make - I've never seen The Godfather before. Still, sometime in the next few weeks I shall right this wrong.

James Bond
Next up, is James Bond. I've already reviewed From Russia With Love so Dr. No would complete the Bond films leading up to Goldfinger. This is a franchise I grew up on, so I'm looking forward to reviewing them.

The Dollars Trilogy (The Good, The Bad and The Ugly)
Finally, there is the small matter of slotting in For A Few Dollars more to complete Sergio Leone's Dollars trilogy with The Good, The Bad And The Ugly after watching A Fistful of Dollars at the beginning of the month.

Right, a revised schedule is in order:
  • 181 - Ghostbusters (1984)
    • Ghostbusters II (1989)
  • 182 - The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo (2009)
    • The Girl Who Played With Fire (2009)
    • The Girl Who Kicked The Hornets Nest (2009)
    • The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo (2011)
  • 183 - Glengarry Glen Ross (1992)
  • 184 - The Godfather (1972)
  • 185 - The Godfather Part II (1974)
    • The Godfather Part III (1990)
  • 186 - Gods And Monsters (1998)
  • 187 - The Gold Rush (1925)
    • Dr. No (1962)
  • 188 - Goldfinger (1964)
  • 189 - Gone With The Wind (1939)
    • For A Few Dollars More (1965)
  • 190 - The Good, The Bad And The Ugly (1966)
17 films, 11 of which I've never seen before. AND 10 are from the 5-star list. Madness.

Oh, and last week marked 500 days of undertaking the challenge. If only I'd watched one per day...

Until next time!

4 comments:

  1. Can't wait to read these particular reviews. Some pretty awesome movies in that list. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes there are! Because of the sheer quantity, I've had to schedule some of this lot into August!

      Delete
  2. I just came across your blog and, I have to say, I'm pretty impressed. The sheer number of movies you've reviewed is.... amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I often wonder what's going on in the outside world.

      Delete