Thursday, November 17, 2011

Films 121 - 130

The next ten films in the Empire 500 5-star Challenge are:
  1. The Cup (1999)
  2. The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button (2008)
  3. The Curse Of The Cat People (1944)
  4. Cutter's Way (1981)
  5. Cyrano De Bergerac (1990)
  6. Dancer In The Dark (2000)
  7. Dangerous Liaisons (1988)
  8. The Dark Knight (2008)
  9. Dark Star (1974)
  10. Das Boot (1981)
...and so marks the end of the films beginning with C. Incidentally, this is also the end of the first quarter of all the films on the list and what a rollercoaster ride it has been. I am beginning to feel as though before watching these films I was a complete and utter film novice as my eyes are opened wider and wider to the varying degrees of world cinema.

As for the last ten films, it really sums up everything that I've currently learnt from the challenge. There are simply films that are just too bizarre for me to comprehend (Cul De Sac, Crash, Cries and Whispers)  but hidden amongst the list are some absolute gems that I probably wouldn't have even considered watching until I took on my personal challenge (Cool Hand Luke, The Crucible).

The next ten films look interesting. Bhutan's first full length feature, Phörpa (The Cup) was an absolute pain to source on DVD so I hope it lives up to its 5-star Empire status. I've never seen The Curious Case of Benjamin Button but have heard good things and I'm looking forward to the sequel to Cat People, which I'd watched earlier in the challenge and loved. As for the rest, I've seen both The Dark Knight and Dangerous Liaisons so I'm aware of what to expect and I've heard of Das Boot's ridiculous running time (293 minutes uncut) so that will be a challenge in itself.

So, until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment